Youth Services Assistant – Applications closed on 7/17/18
Apply in the Library or click here.
The Youth Services Assistant is responsible for assisting the Youth Services Director with the daily operations of the Youth Services Department. This person assists the Youth Services Director in developing and implementing programs and events for children, teens and families as well as maintaining the library collections of both children and teens. Circulation duties will be assigned as necessary.
- Reports to the Director of Library Services, the Youth Services Director, and the Circulation Supervisor.
- Works under the immediate supervision of the Youth Services Director and the Circulation Supervisor
- High school diploma or G.E.D. required.
- Two years of undergraduate education or two years of job related experience preferred.
- At least one year’s experience specifically working or volunteering with children and/or teens in an instructional, assistive, or caregiver capacity.
- Ability to relate to children and teens and become familiar with their needs and interests.
- Ability to interact with and assist the public in a friendly and responsive manner.
- Extensive knowledge of computers, their operating systems, and programs likely to be used in libraries, including familiarity with the Internet, word processing, current operating systems including apple, android and windows.
- Ability to learn new concepts, skills, and technology.
- Ability to get in front of large groups and to maintain control of large numbers of people.
- Good oral and written communication skills.
- Strong organizational skills for a customer service-oriented environment.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with co-workers and the public.
- Flexibility in work schedule; including evenings and weekends.
- Ability to lift boxes (up to 20 pounds), get up and down easily, stand for long periods of time, and interact sociably with children and teens.
- Assists in the development and implementation of children’s, teens and family programs and special events.
- Ensures open spaces in the Youth Services Department are tidy at all times.
- Straightens shelves in Youth Services Department, rotating books on display.
- Assists patrons in the Youth Services Department. Defers reference questions to the Youth Services Director when needed.
- Performs Circulation Desk functions when requested.
- Decorates the Youth Services Department.
- Conducts library tours for school children and teens as requested.
- Assists in the development and implementation of the summer reading program.
- Assists with the planning, preparation and production of weekly storytimes.
- Assists with the planning, preparation and production of all other Youth Services programming as assigned by the Youth Services Director.
- Displays professional conduct and appearance at all times while performing duties.
- Serves on library teams as requested by the Director of Library Services, Circulation Supervisor or Youth Services Director.
- Performs special projects and other job-related tasks that may be assigned by the Director of Library Services, Circulation Supervisor, or Youth Services Director.
Hours Required: 16-24 hours per week
Pay Basis: Hourly starting at $9.00